What is Community Minded Kids
Community Minded Kids is a unique community building program designed to teach children about community building and participation and empowering them to collaborate in citizen- driven community efforts.
We cannot effectively develop and strengthen communities without including children in the process. We do not want to wait until their adults to equip them with the mindset and tools to be compassionate, caring and confident community contributors.
Community Minded Kids program runs for a full school term, combining in school and out of school community learning, discoveries and activities.
The program supports and resources teachers to deliver community focused lessons and discussions; enhancing students understanding of community, encouraging their involvement and participation, as well as their empathy in relation to issues that impact groups and communities, particularly marginalised and disenfranchised communities.
Examples of class discussions and dialogues have led children to talk about differences between self-interest and community interest, and unpacking differences between equality and equity.
Underpinning their learnings and discoveries, the program interweaves important values and knowledge around diversity, inclusion, social justice and community solidarity.
At the end of program (term) students who have completed the program get a certificate and graduate as a “Community Minded Kid.
Resources & Support
Schools that join the program receive:
– Direct support from Community Minded Kids Representative: initial teacher training and on- going support throughout school term
– Regular check-ins from Community Minds to ensure the school is well supported in delivering the program
– Program resources include CMK bag (one per teacher), 40-page teachers resource guide, Student Community Passbooks (one per student), passbook log sheets, 3 children’s books on Community and personalised and professionally printed CMK certificate per student at graduation
– Teachers will also have access to the Resource Guide, lessons plans/ideas from other schools and other support materials to help them deliver the program.
What participants are saying about the program
Complementing student learning, school curriculum and enhancing students’ wellbeing
Community Minds Kids supports children’s education and helps improve their connection and sense of belonging and purpose in their communities, which supports their health, wellbeing and builds their confidence and self-efficacy.
Contributing to community activities and volunteering can improve children’s self-confidence and sense of place in community (valued citizen).
Whilst on their quest of “Discoveries” and “Do’s” children and young people can learn to deal with challenges, communicate with different people and build up important life skills.
We have ensured that the program:
- Supports State Education frameworks of Wellbeing across Australia.
- Intersects, supports and further enhances students learning in Civics and Citizenship which is part of every state education curriculum.
Inclusion of students that have special needs and diverse abilities
One of the main principles we promote and is one of our organizations core value, is inclusion.
At Community Minds, we believe every person, regardless of their physical and learning/intellectual abilities, race, ethnicity, religion, age of lifestyle, has the right to be involved and contribute in their communities. Every person has an asset and gift that is special and can be utilised in building better stronger connected communities.
Community Minded Kids program locations
We are running the program in the following states.
New South Wales
Don't see your state?
Don’t worry, we’ll be branching out to Canberra (ACT), Queensland, Northern Terrority and South Australia in 2022.
Ultimately, Community Minded kids aims to cultivate a generation that thinks “WE” not “ME”. This shift requires conversations, learning opportunities and adults ensuring that learning about community and how we can contribute to its health and prosperity, is an integral part of children’s learning and development.
Want to learn more about our Community Minded Kids program?
Contact our team with the details below or fill out a form and a member of our team will be in contact shortly.